Latest update 2019-04-12 Links & additional info will be added as info is located and pages are created
Identifiers that are useful for looking up info on Port Townsend Paper:
|100 Mill Road, Port Townsend WA 98368 Latitude: 48° 05.63′ N Longitude: 122° 47.81′ W|
|GHGRP Id: 1005732 – PTPC’s ID on the EPA’s greenhouse gas reporting program
FRS Id: 110000490326 – EPA facility ID for Port Townsend Paper. Like a SSN for businesses.
NAICS Code: 322121 – “kraft pulp mill”. A code to identify what type of business this facility conducts. Some businesses have multiple NAICS codes.
• PTPC Air Pollution, 2008-2011-2014. Report issued every three years.
4 million pounds of toxic air pollution annually, including HAPs, VOCs, heavy metals and more.
over 1 billion pounds of greenhouse gases.
Source: EPA National Emissions Inventory (NEI).
• PTPC info at MyRighttoKnow – a super profile of the mill and its pollution impact.
• 97 of 336 in pollution by paper mills in the U.S. (109 of those mills are pulp mills.)
• violations of Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act laws for most quarters of 2017; 7 enforcement actions in past 5 years.
• Annual TRI report which tracks chemicals that account for about 10% of the mill’s total air pollution shows: Air – 339,019 lbs ; Water – 68,728 lbs ; Land – 32,422 lbs (to their on-site landfill)
source: EPA MyRightToKnow
Pulp mills are one of the most polluting industries: TRI summary for all 109 U.S. Pulp mills NAICS 322121
601,257 metric tons of CO2e annually, including:
598,083 tons CO2
547,590 “biogenic”, mostly trees and construction waste
50,493 “non-biogenic”, same thing, but produced by fossil fuels
580 tons methane
2,594 tons nitrous oxide
*Adjusted for relative climate effects to CO2 equivalents, or CO2e.
Source: EPA’s Greenhouse Gas Reporting
“Biogenic” is a fake industry term to eliminate CO2 by fiat, created in the early 2000’s and adopted by EPA. The claim is that CO2 is not created when industries burn large quantities of wood, construction waste and similar 24/7/365, although they claim the opposite when homeowners do the same with their little wood stoves on a few cold winter nights. Go figure.
So by simply ignoring 90% of the CO2 that’s actually going into the air, the EPA shows a “total” that only includes 10% of the CO2 that PTPC produces, everyone claims great strides in reducing CO2 emissions, and then we’re all puzzled when measured atmospheric CO2 levels show no improvement.
• PTPC’s Enforcement and Compliance History (click and scroll down the page for a full picture)
Water Effluents (yellow = violations)
Water – Effluent Limit Exceedences Report set date range, any pair from 1/2007-present
• Community Odor Maps – see where residents and visitors experience Port Townsend Paper’s fumes
• Port Townsend’s Tower Cam – see where the mill’s plumes are pointing right now. It takes a while for the fumes to spread across town, and then they linger once the wind moves on.
PARIS – Permitting and Reporting Information System (PARIS) database contains information about water quality permits, inspections, enforcement actions, and discharge monitoring reports (DMRs). Source: WA Dept of Ecology.
PTPC Pollution Prevention Act (1990) measures taken in 2017 and their effect. Shows that EPA clean air act laws are what resulted in any pollution improvements at PTPC. Source: EPA Data Widget for Pollution Prevention Act
♦ EPA Data Widgets – EPA tools to find Port Townsend Paper’s registrations, emissions, violations/penalties, toxicity
♦ Regulators – who oversees what, law
#porttownsendwa #porttownsend #ptpc #porttownsendrealestate